Microsoft Is Ending Windows XP Support
After April 8, 2014, there won’t be any new security updates, hotfixes, assisted support options or online technical content updates. Running XP in your environment after the end of support date may expose your company to potential risks, such as, security & compliance risks and/or lack of software and hardware vendor support.
In 2002, Microsoft introduced its Support Lifecycle policy based on customer feedback to have more transparency and predictability of support for Microsoft products. As per this policy, Microsoft Business and Developer products, including Windows and Office products, receive a minimum of 10 years of support (5 years Mainstream Support and 5 years Extended Support), at the supported service pack level.
How does this affect your Wonderware?
New versions of Wonderware software are not supported on older operating systems. As Microsoft ends support for aging operating systems, that triggers both Invensys Operations Management Development and Quality Assurance to phase out that operating system with Wonderware. Development can focus on utilizing newer technologies that were not available in older operating systems, rather than trying to develop for both new and legacy technologies. In addition, Quality Assurance can reduce time to market by removing their testing process for those older operating systems, which provides faster release of new features and improvements. For more information about the support Operating Systems of Wonderware, visit the Wonderware Developer Network.
Older versions of Wonderware software are not supported on current operating systems. It is becoming increasingly harder to find PCs with Windows XP. Most computers are now installed standard with Windows 7 and soon to be Windows 8. This means that technologies used by older versions of Wonderware, such as when XP was the primary operating system, might no longer exist in Windows 7 or 8, preventing older versions of Wonderware from operating effectively or at all.
Benefits of upgrading your Wonderware software:
- Increased Productivity: The latest versions of Wonderware software have improved performance and include our most recent enhancements. This allows users to be more efficient in the use of their systems as well as improving the capabilities of the system, increasing overall productivity and value.
- Increased Safety & Security: Wonderware takes cyber-security very seriously. We have a strong commitment to our customers – around the quality and security of our products. Upgrading your Wonderware software will increase the safety and security of your entire industrial automation infrastructure. Wonderware products go through a rigorous development process and we maintain a strong relationship with Microsoft, as a Global Development Partner, to ensure our products meet the highest expectations for quality and security. Our Microsoft partnership enables Wonderware to maintain a fifteen day verification process for all Microsoft Security Updates. Regularly scheduled product updates and releases assure ongoing product quality and security improvements. Our implementation of new technologies such as smart cards, virtualization, biometrics, redundancy and disaster recovery & change management apps enable Wonderware to continually provide best-in-breed industrial automation solutions.
- Compatibility: Wonderware has a strong reputation for being an open and compatible system. We utilize industry standard technologies and our strong relationship with Microsoft to ensure maximum compatibility. This leads to increased up-time and performance even if you utilize a wide variety of software and hardware products.
- Migration of Upgrades: Wonderware is well known for it’s upgradability. Users can take an application of Wonderware developed in the 1990′s and upgrade to the latest version on the latest operating system in a matter of clicks. This drastically reduces the cost and need of re-engineering required to migrate from one version to another. When taking into account the migration path of operating systems as well, this becomes a must have feature for effective long term system planning for your business.
- Ease-of-Use & Friendly User Experience: The Wonderware EcoSystem continuously provides feedback on enhancements and changes, shaping each new product release. This has enabled Wonderware to maintain our legendary ease-of-use and friendly user experience throughout the years.
For more information on migrating to the latest Wonderware solutions, please contact Wonderware North!